This is the most difficult newsletter that I have had to write. I can’t believe two years have gone by so quickly. Passing the gavel is more difficult than I thought it would be. Of course I’ve/we’ve joked about it but I must admit that it isn’t easy. These past two years were great, fabulous, tense, educational, and enjoyable, as well as, time consuming moments. I wouldn’t trade them.
When my journey began, I had plans to move The Colony Club forward—plans to get the Club more involved as well as recognized in the Ocean City Community, plans to be more involved in the educational process, plans to be more involved and recognized in the Southern District, as well, as NJSFWC. So here is my summary of what we have accomplished:
Strong Women, Good Friends, Caring Volunteers
We are a volunteer, nonprofit organization part of the NJSFWC (New Jersey State Federation of Women’s Clubs) of the GWFC (General Federation of Women’s Clubs). We were created to develop and support programs and projects that improve the community by promoting its civic, cultural, educational and social aims.
Our main purpose is to raise money for scholarships, but we also raise money for local charities. The many ways include the Spring Fashion Show, Designer Handbag BINGO, Yankee Candle sales, home baked cookies and water sales at the OC Block Parties, Game Days and Penny Auctions. These functions provide us with the ability to award scholarships to both the high school and intermediate school levels and support local charities.
Throughout the year the activities of The Colony Club are filled with a lot of history and accomplishments:
- Promoting education is a strong point for us.
- We have held 2 successful Spelling Bees for the 5th Graders at the OC Intermediate School with the winners moving on to the State Federation level competition. The participants were awarded Certificates of Achievement as well as gift cards to the 3 winners.
- Girl’s Career Institute affords a junior girl from the OC High School the opportunity to attend a week long program held at Douglas College to introduce them to college life. We sponsored 2 delegates to give them the opportunity of a “mini college experience” and dorm life.
- We have donated to and co-sponsored with The Exchange Club, the OC Historical Museum’s Children’s Tea with several members volunteering at this event.
We have entered the Annual OC Halloween and Christmas Parades with floats and marching characters.
- We’ve enjoyed Spaghetti Dinners with the last one having an Elvis performance. We participate in the OC Welcome Night greeting all who come by our booth and promoting our membership drive. We also donate a gift basket for the evening’s drawing.
- At Christmas time we have always adopted a family or two. We changed it up for a most heartfelt event which is our Wounded Warrior Christmas Dinner. This past Christmas, we hosted our 2nd family. We honored and celebrated a young military couple and their family as well as brought back the previous year’s family. Gifts were bestowed on the children and a check was given to the new couple. A few members of the OC American Legion Post 524 were invited to join us. Of course, Santa arrived to the delight of everyone especially the youngest of the children.
- Programs presented during our meetings were informative, educational and fun. Guests are always welcome to attend. Our new members are honored during the New Members Welcome Dinner during which they are inducted and pledge their best to promote the programs and objectives of The Colony Club of Ocean City by being helpful and sincere and to uphold the by-laws at all times.
- Donations—during the 2 past years, we have been able to donate to Our Wounded Warrior Families, Day of Service, OCYAA, Cystic Fibrosis, Waves of Caring, NAMI, American Cancer Society, Love of Linda, Gilda’s Club, CASA, CARA, Ocean City’s Historical Museum, Ocean City’s Humane Society, Ocean City’s Food Cupboard, Union Chapel by the Sea, Shores of Wesley Manor, Literacy Volunteers, Gift Cards for the Spelling Bee, Girl’s Career Institute, Scholarships for OC High School and OC Intermediate School and collected 12 lbs. of can tabs donated to The Ronald McDonald House. We have volunteered over 2740 hours and have driven endless miles.
- Last year the Colony Club celebrated its 65th Anniversary. A proclamation from the Mayor of Ocean City was presented to the Club, as well as, well wishes from the State Federation’s President. We were invited to and were acknowledged at the Citizen of the Year dinner where we were presented a plaque from the City of Ocean City, congratulations along with a certificate from the County Board of Chosen Freeholders, Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition and a plaque from the Ocean City Regional Chamber of Commerce all for volunteering and contributing to the community for 65 years.
- At the Southern District Achievement Day Spring Conference, we were recognized with 5 Awards for Best All Around Work Reported in Home Life, International Outreach, Communications, Leadership, and the 1894 Society. At the State Convention we were honored with Second Place Awards for Best All Around Work in the State Reported in Communications and Leadership. You should be proud of all that The Colony Club of Ocean City has been able to accomplish during these past 2 years.
Did you see the Press coverage of before and after of our Seashore Chic Fashion Show? FANTASTIC!!
You can see why I am so proud of The Colony Club. We are a group of unselfish women who give of ourselves and are committed to the Colony Club’s goals. As Henry Ford said, “Coming together is a beginning. Keeping together is progress. Working together is success.” Colony Club, you have succeeded!!
I wish the incoming President, Diane Mozzo and her Board a very successful term. All the best to you and may you continue in The Colony Club of Ocean City spirit. We stand behind you.