March is here, and we look forward to the beginning of spring. It is always a fun time in Ocean City to see everything come back to life and to welcome the returning snowbirds. March is also Women’s History month, and a big salute goes out to all you caring, smart, strong women of the Colony Club. Just think of the impact you have made in our community just by being a member of the Colony Club—from our sponsorships of nonprofits and scholarships to collecting food and clothing for the food cupboard and clothes closet to supporting a veteran and his family and so much more. We may be a small club on a small island, but we have big hearts.
March also marks our traditional New Member Welcome dinner. This year our new members are Janet Cook, Anne Glenning, Betty Schmidt, Edwina Piriano, Diane Root, Tina Cortese, Cathy Solarski, and Susan Hohman. We are so happy to have you and thank you for the contributions you have already made to the club. We also have a special honoree this year. She is Carla Heist, who joined the club in 1967 and is celebrating 50 years of membership.
Here are some important dates to remember:
- The deadline for the Flower Power orders is March 31. See Denise Szymanski. Remember this is a fundraiser for the club.
- The April General Meeting is the 17th. Scott Griswold will speak about digital photography and his artwork. Hostesses are CAPA.
- The Fashion Show is April 22. See Jean Robinson for tickets. Please support this effort as it is our big fundraiser of the year and all the money goes to our awards and scholarships. Tickets: $25.00 pre-order, $30.00 at the door.
- Achievement Day is April 26. Cathi Ferber is in charge of Arts Creative and Angel Smith is in charge of Conservation. They need your entry forms by April 9. Come for lunch even if you do not enter anything. It’s at Greate Bay and is a nice day. More details will follow.
- The state convention is May 8-10. Registration for 1 day is $15.00 if you register before April 8 or $25.00 for 3 days. If you register on-site for one day the cost is $20 and $35.00 for 3 days. There are varying prices for meals. Please let me know if you are interested in attending. The convention is at the Golden Nugget and parking is free.
Finally, I want to take this time to remember the passing of two of our sister members, Mary Zuccarini and Mary Rodgers. Mary Zuccarini’s daughter, in her eulogy, said the Colony Club was a very important portion of her mother’s life. She loved being part of all the activities. She had been a member since 1975. And Mary Rodgers, a member since 2008, in the words of Joanne Romano, will be “missed for her generosity, wit, wisdom, and her loud and sometimes wicked laughter.” In memory of our two Marys, I share the following poem:
They have sown their shining seeds of service
In the furrows of each day,
Planted every deed with serious purpose,
In a hopeful tender way.
Next Colony Club meeting—Wednesday, March 15, 2017, New Members’ Welcome Dinner, 6PM, Senior Center.